Here’s how to get rid of clothes the right way
There’s only one thing better than a good clothes clear-out: getting rid of clothes in an environmentally friendly way. And what better way to do this than by repurposing or donating your clothes? Giving away your unwanted clothes is a fantastic way to ensure that your unwanted items are not going to waste. Not only will you get to clean out your cluttered wardrobe, but you’ll also be helping others and reducing your impact on the environment.
We’re going to walk you through how to sort out the clothes in your wardrobe and how to donate unwanted clothes. From answering questions like “should I wash my clothes before donating?” to offering tips on sorting out wardrobe space, we’ve got the answers.
How to sort out your wardrobe
The first step to getting rid of clothes is to clean out your wardrobe. When it comes to sorting out clothes, the key is organisation. Start by making three piles: Keep, Donate, Reuse.
The ‘Keep’ pile will be designated for the clothes you still want, the ‘Donate’ pile will be for clothes to donate, and the ‘Reuse” pile will be for any damaged clothes that can’t be donated. Be sure to check with the organisation first about any items that you think might be too worn or damaged. If the charity won’t accept the garment, you can always check out this article on how to reuse your clothes right at home.
Once you’ve finished sorting out your wardrobe, don’t forget to take a moment to admire all that extra space.
How to donate unwanted clothes
The next step for environmentally friendly clothes disposal. Prepare all the items in your ‘Donate’ pile to give away. Follow these simple steps for how to get rid of clothes ethically:
- Make sure your clothes are in good condition. If you’re wondering “should I wash clothes before donating?” then the answer is yes. Do the organisation a favour by washing the clothes beforehand with a detergent Comfort Intense Fuchsia Passion Fabric Conditioner. Just because the clothes are used, doesn’t mean they can’t smell good as new for the next owners!
- Select a charity. There are plenty of charities out there that’d be more than happy to take your unwanted clothes off your hands. Choose one that catches your eye, whether it be for convenience purposes or one that particularly inspires you.
- Bag and drop. Once you have your charity of choice, place all your clothes in bags and drop them off at the nearest store or donation site.
For more information on how to sort out your wardrobe and donate to charity, check out this article!
Extra tips for clothes disposal
Now that you know the benefits of getting rid of clothes ethically and how to do it, here are some tips for sorting out clothes and prepping them for donation:
- Make sure the pockets are empty.
- Remove belts and any other removable parts.
- Clean stains and odours.
- Replace any missing buttons or broken zippers.
- Iron where necessary.
If you’re looking for ideas and tips on how to upcycle your clothes, continue reading our articles with some great ideas!
And there you have it: how to sort out clothes in your wardrobe for less clutter and less harm to the environment! By clearing out your clothes in an eco-friendly way, you’ll make a positive impact on your wardrobe, your community, and the planet.